Food tastes and aromas are the ultimate Time Machine

My Mother's Kitchen

My Mother's Kitchen
Mother's Homemade Bread

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

FOOD FARE IN THE 50s & 60's

     I grew up in the 50's and 60's - a great time to remember.  Those were lean years for my family and our food fare reflected that.  We seldom ate out at restaurants, or did fast food.  Casseroles and soups were a staple on our dinner table.  I loved my mother's Stew, Chili, Swiss Steak, Meatloaf and Porcupine Balls.

         

Nothing fancy, but usually hearty and most of the time tasty  -- I do cringe a bit when I think of chipped beef on toast.  Not one of my favorites.  Maybe the fond memories have more to do with the memories and less to do with the food. Sitting together around the table each night was a fun and enlightening time as we shared stories, laughed, and tried to explain the things we had learned from school that day.
     I'll bet many of you who grew up in the same era can relate to what was served in homes across the US  during those years --  lots of beans, canned produce from the garden, no soda, and meat sparingly.  I would welcome your memories and recipes.
     
PORCUPINE BALLS                            
    
  
1 lb hamburger
1/2 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (or 2 tsp. dry minced onion)
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp pepper
     Mix these ingredients and form into balls.  Place in pressure cooker.
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup
3/4 can water
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tlbs Worcestershire sauce
     Mix soup, water, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and pour over meatballs, and roll meatballs in sauce.
Secure lid and pressure cap.  Place over med-high heat and when cap starts to rock, lower heat and cook for 10 min.  Remove from heat and rest 5 minutes.  Run cooker under cool water until pressure is released - remove rocker to finish releasing steam.  Serve with cooked rice or mashed potatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment